Welcome to the Advanced Home Study Course
We created this course for students like you who have attended the Advanced 5-Day Course and want to keep improving, whether or not you choose to go on to Certification Fieldwork. Our challenge was to figure out how a person gets to mastery without coaching and feedback from a Masterson Method Certified Practitioner. (By mastery, we mean the way Jim does it. Being able to work with a horse we’ve never met and watching it melt under our hands. Learning how to take a fidgety, resistant horse and connect with her in a matter of seconds. Finally, to get the feel of the elusive under scapula release, not just on our horse, but on every horse.)
To do this, we needed to go beyond a normal assignment/study/test kind of course. While knowledge and memorizing are a huge part of the picture, they can only take you so far. Practice, especially deliberate practice, is what takes you the rest of the way.
This course helps you practice the skills you learned in the Advanced 5-day Course in a way that improves what we call feel. We’ve designed it to get you out of your mind and into your hands – which is where the feel is. Feel is what unlocks the tremendous benefits of the Masterson Method for horses.
“It is our wish that with this Advanced Home Study Course, students will be inspired to continue improving their Masterson Method skills so that more horses can benefit from this powerful approach to bodywork.” Jim Masterson & Conley Wright
In addition to the online Advanced Home Study Course Manual — a thorough step-by-step explanation of the purpose, goals, steps, anatomy, and special considerations for each of the techniques – we’re adding some new, practice-focused components:
- New Technique Breakdown Videos for each technique where Jim reviews demonstration videos in slow motion while answering questions from a Fieldwork Student and Certified Practitioner. Watching videos of Jim working on horses is a masterclass all by itself. Listening to him talk about what he’s thinking, feeling and doing as he works on a horse will have you itching to get to the barn and give it a try. These videos help unpack the mysterious sense of “Feel” that makes The Masterson Method so unique and powerful.
- New Deliberate Practice Tools for you to improve your skills in each technique. This includes a guide to “Deliberate Practice”, a self-assessment tool to “mind the gap” between best practice and your current proficiency, and a Deliberate Practice Worksheet that steps you through choosing and improving each technique in small but profound ways.
The resources for each technique are laid out in the following format.
- Contents of the Advanced 5-Day Course Text for Each Technique
- The Purpose of the Technique– This is the effect that the technique is intended to have on the horse. For example, the purpose of Lateral Cervical Flexion is to release tension and improve comfort and range of movement in the poll and atlas, and in the neck.
- The Goal of the Technique– This is the goal of the student in the practice of the technique itself; basically what we are looking for in the practice of the technique. For example, the goal of Lateral Cervical Flexion is to get movement of each vertebra of the neck—C1 through C7—while keeping the neck in a relaxed state.
- Step-by-Step Instructions– Basic instructions on how to do the technique. May be accompanied by photos or graphics.
- If the Horse Braces, Resists, or Evades– Different horses will react differently to a technique, depending on how much tension the technique is uncovering, the personality and training of the horse, etc. This gives the student some strategies to deal with different horse behavior.
- Safety notes for the technique.
- Anatomical considerations– Noteworthy connections and functions for the area being worked on. May be accompanied by photos or graphics.
- Video Demonstration(s) of the Technique. The video in your Phase I Techniques DVD and any bonus videos (at the end of the course materials) of Jim demonstrating this technique will be posted.
- Technique Breakdown Video. Jim reviews a demonstration video in slow motion and answers commonly asked questions as we look at each technique in slow-motion. This is a new and unique way to help you fine tune your sense of “feel” in each technique.
- Technique Breakdown PDF. Follow along with the questions asked during Jim’s breakdown video.
- Minding the Gap: Deliberate Practice Worksheet. After reviewing each technique, you can print a copy of the Deliberate Practice Worksheet to self-assess, identify areas to improve, practice, and reflect on your experience.
- Deliberate Practice Guide. A reminder as to how to do Deliberate Practice.
If you are continuing on to Certification in The Masterson Method, the Certification Fieldwork Course will be your next phase of training.